Member Email   |   About Us   |   Paging System   |   Drill Team
516 354-4560
CLICK FOR LIVE CALL FEED
For Information about the Elmont FD call the Chiefs' Office at 516-354-4560. The firehouses are located on Gotham Ave., Plainfield Ave., School Road, Elmont Road, Lehrer Ave and Meacham Ave.

Truck 1
 
 
Belmont Hook and Ladder Company No. 1 (707)
Elmont Rd. & Tarboro St. Elmont,NEW YORK - 11003
 
History
 

In early 1905 the local farmers and business men from the Elmont area met at the Hoffman Hotel on Elmont Road. They met to form a fire company for the town. They were given $2500.00 by local racing tycoon August Belmont, a very large sum of money in those days. The company was named Belmont Hook & Ladder Company No. I in honor of him.

Click to enlarge

The new members were a "whose who" of Elmont. The first 40 members of Belmont Hook & Ladder Company 1 had streets named after them. At the first meeting they elected Arthur Koenig Engineer of the Company (the equivalent to Chief). Members brought their badges and uniforms for five dollars.

Click to enlarge

Later in 1905 they purchased the Staftel homestead for two hundred dollars. The firehouse is still in the same place as it was almost 100 years ago. The firehouse was built for $1,100.00. The firehouse has remained basically the same over the years. Electric power was run through the firehouse for fifty dollars.

In 1906 the first piece of apparatus was delivered. It was a horse drawn truck with ladders and buckets hanging from the side. When there was a fire, the first member to hook his horse to the truck was given five dollars for his services. The company's first fire was at the flour mill in Floral Park about three years after they organized. Being a new company they received letters of praise from the flour mill and Floral Park Fire Department.

Around 1910 the company approved the purchase of a steel brake shoe from a steam engine. This was for the first alarm system for the company. Whatever a member saw a fire he would go to the firehouse and ring the gong (one for north two for south three for east and four for west).

In 1928, the Elmont Fire Department was organized. The firehouse served as Headquarters for the new department till the 1970's. The second floor of the firehouse was used as a classroom by the Elmont school district while they were building the new school next door.

In 2005 we celebrated our 100th anniversary with a parade, block party and dinner/dance. In September, 2008 we began operating a 2008 Ferrara midmount tower ladder.

Truck 1 responds to nearly 800 alarms per year.

And by the way, the firehouse is haunted.


Truck 1's Quarters